Sunday, June 07, 2015

With a Little Grace

I love my Mulberrys. I really do. I coo over them - or others I can't afford. I think they are gorgeous. But I use them and generally think they are "just bags" (*ducks and covers*) Gorgeous (for most of the time) but they are just beautifully crafted pieces of leather. But ultimately, they are attainable - even if aspiration is still a factor.

There are certain other bags that will command respect. Admiration. Awe. And aspiration isn't even in the picture for me. In my opinion Hermes and Chanel are definitely leading the pack when it comes to creating iconic bags that are recognisable across the world - even by people who have otherwise no clue or interest in handbags.

At the very top of that has got to be the Hermes Kelly or Birkin. Waiting lists and price tags that beggar belief mean "normal" people like me will never even consider buying one. 

Of course other designers have drawn inspiration from copied the style but usually that ends in rather nasty imitations. Imagine my amazement when I came across one that was not only beautifully crafted but also - and here is the real shocker (ahem...) - from Mulberry?! Created in the late 80s or early 90s Roger Saul stole unashamedly from Hermes and delivered a bag that didn't just look like a Kelly, it was also called a Kelly. So here we go.


 The longest intro ever... enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. Keep coming back to this review to watch the video :) Such a gorgeous bag, have looked for one for ages but not come across any :( xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...